Little Barton Hartland
LITTLE BARTON HARTLAND FARMHOUSE (sleeps 10 + 1 cot) & COTTAGE (sleeps 6 + 2cots) https://www.littlebartonhartland.co.uk
Set on the west side of the Hartland Peninsula, inland from Spekes Mill Mouth beach with views across farmland out to Lundy and the Atlantic. A wonderful escape from the city! Relax into these old fashioned, family houses and enjoy the birdsong! Run on eco/organic principles, Little Barton has its own water source and eco sewage treatment plant and eco cleaning/washing materials are provided. The field and track are managed to promote wild flowers to encourage the bees, butterflies and other insects Booked together or separately, the houses can accommodate up to 16 guests plus 3 cot sized infants, with space for everyone to eat together in the Farmhouse where there is a kitchen and pantry equipped for large numbers.
Weekend and short bookings are available outside school holidays. Yoga, meditation, dance, t’ai chi, workshops, green celebrations: the 40ft barn with a sprung wooden floor works well for movement workshops and workshops/small conferences. (Full-sized ping pong table/trestles/chairs). Children are welcome and love it here - lots of space to play! There are cots, high chairs, fireguards etc, as well as a selection of books, DVDs, games, toys and badminton equipment as well as body boards and buckets/spades etc to borrow. Dogs welcome by request (in the kitchen only). High tide wild swimming at Hartland Quay (45 mins walk mostly along the SW Coast Path, and at Spekes Mill Mouth (30 mins walk), highly recommended! You can walk to Hartland Village, partly through the woods, in 30 mins. There are lots of beaches to choose from for surfing, swimming, body boarding etc. Bude is 25 mins by car.
LITTLE BARTON FARMHOUSE (sleeps 10 + 1 cot) Sleeps up to 10 people + 2 cot-sized infants comfortably in 6 bedrooms. The house has full central heating. The rooms are big, light and airy with natural wooden and terracotta flooring and the house is set in a large, child safe, lawned garden with sea views and a south facing sitting area with garden tables and chairs and a big Kadai fire bowl BBQ. There is a small plantation of trees, full of wildlife, which rings the south garden.
• The large farmhouse kitchen and large walk in pantry with ample storage space, slate work surfaces and a Belfast sink as well as a large utility room with plenty of room for bikes, surf boards etc.
• Up to 16 people can sit to eat at the long table in the S. facing red sitting room, next to the open fire. There is a tuned piano in this room.
• The S. facing yellow sitting room a has a very efficient ‘ClearView’ wood burner, TV/DVD and lots of DVDs, games and toys.
• Upstairs there are five bedrooms: 2 King sized doubles; 1 King sized double + bunk/3singles; a small single; a single + bunk bed-platform for 2 children aged 4-12.
• Downstairs there is a smaller King sized double room next to the bathroom.
• 2 bathrooms: upstairs has a bath and downstairs has an large electric shower. Plenty of hot water. From 2020 there should be an additional small upstairs loo/shower room.
• Free wi-fi access.
LITTLE BARTON HARTLAND COTTAGE (sleeps 6 + 2 cots) Little Barton Cottage (3 bedrooms), originally a shippon with a granary running along above it, is part of a courtyard of stone and slate outbuildings behind Little Barton Farmhouse. The original, exposed, roof trusses and wooden floors have been preserved. From the big lawned garden, you can hear the waves crashing on the shore at high tide. The clear night skies in summer are really magnificent, as are the sunsets, which flood the kitchen with reddish light on summer evenings.
• Kitchen: French windows, which open out into the garden.
• Sitting Room: has a tuned piano, a very efficient Clear View wood burner. Lots of books, DVDs and a TV/DVD player and board games.
• 3 Bedrooms: You can see the Atlantic to the West from the King sized main bedroom. Another big bedroom can be used as a triple or as a super king double plus a single. There is also a small single room
• 1 downstairs bathroom: with a shower over the bath.
• Free wi-fi
Booking you can book direct using the automated booking system on or you can use the https://www.littlebartonhartland.co.uk/ AirBnB system, which also has lots of reviews. Special offers are advertised on Alistair Sawday’s, Group Accommodation and Last Minute Cottages websites.