Walk the beautiful gardens, enjoy an indulgent cream tea or lunch (free entry to the tea room) and buy rare and beautiful plants at the beautiful Docton Mill Gardens and Tea Room .
Set in nine acres of beautiful gardens surrounding the original working mill and mill pond, the sheltered wooded valley offers a microclimate enabling tender species to flourish. Located just 1000m from coast and Spekes Mill Mouth where North Devons tallest waterfall tumbles into the sea, Docton Mill is easily reached by road or by foot form the SW Coast path.
The Garden started in the 1930’s but fell into disrepair in the 1970’s. 1980 saw the Mill renovated and Garden cleared with extensive planting and the creation of a new Bog Garden and borders, vast numbers of trees were planted. The start of the new Millennium saw developments including a new Magnolia Garden with large Herbaceous borders, Woodland Garden and Greenhouse area enabling more extensive plant propagation. Recently a new Stream garden has been added together with a wildlife pond and vegetable garden area.
The award winning Tea Room is now situated in the converted granary overlooking the courtyard, in cooler weather a lovely woodburner acts as a cosy focal point. Open 7 days a week from 10am to 5pm from March to October, light lunches, morning coffee and award winning cream teas are served. As much local produce, including local beef and seafood, is used as possible. Entrance to the tea room is free.
- Spectacular display of 20,000 narcissi in spring
- River walk with displays of naturalised narcissi,
- bluebells and wild garlic
- Superb bog garden as described in Rosemary Verey’s book “Good Planting”
- Extensive herbaceous border of over 140m
- Wildlife pond and vegetable garden
- My favourite garden Malcom Duncan R.H.S. Rosemoor
- Award winning Tea Room (free entry) serving light lunches with speciality salads during the summer, all food locally sourced
- Dogs allowed on short leads
- Over 300 varieties of herbaceous perennial for sale
The garden has been featured on many local and national T.V. gardening programmes and recently won a Gold Medal at the Devon County Show. The Tea Room has won best Cream Tea in North Devon.
2018 Opening: 7 days a week, 15th March to 5th October 10am - 5pm. Free entry to the Tea Room. Garden Entrance: Adults £4.50, Seniors £4.25, under-18s free.
Docton Mill Gardens & Tea Room, Lymebridge Hartland, North Devon, EX39 6EA
Web: www.doctonmill.co.uk Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 01237 441369