New Year is a fantastic time on the Peninsula. &nbs
New Year is a fantastic time on the Peninsula. The scenery is stunning: the land, woodlands and moor wear their winter finery and the sea awes with its winter power.
Yet the welcome is warmer than ever: Hartland village is bright with decorations and alive with festive bustle. Fires roar in the pubs and places to stay, and the local food and drink is at its very best.
Whether you’re here for New Year itself, or just visiting there is so much to see and do. Explore the beautiful scenery, indulge in fantastic local meat, cheese, seafood, drink, sweet treats and much more and take part in the wonderfully diverse range of events on and near the Peninsula.
See our 20 New Year things to do for inspiration:
- Take a long wintry walk on the cliff tops, through the woods or across the vale (pictured) before a glass of mulled wine in front of a roaring log fire in one of the local hostelries.
- Pick up unique gifts from the craft markets or one of the open studios and galleries.
- Shop for delicious treats from local producers.
- Go wave watching down at Hartland Quay before retreating into the bar for a warming bite, hot chocolate or local ale.
- Pop in to Hartland to pick up local treats, gifts and supplies: cheeses, cream, meats, fish, ice cream, apple juice, honey, arts, crafts…
- Watching for shooting stars across a star-studded sky that goes on for as far as the eye can see.
- Relax with a rural spa session and even get a massage or treatment.
- Take a short break on magical Lundy Island, including a six minute spectacular helicopter ride each way.
- Let children burn off some holiday energy at the award winning Big Sheep or Milky Way theme parks!
- Take a trip to the Eden Project for a magical Christmas experience and real ice skating!
- Make driftwood art or decorations from wood, shells and other items collected from the beaches
- Visit Rosemoor Gardens for their whole calendar of winter festival events
- Walk down through Clovelly’s timeless cobbled streets to the harbour, taking in the Christmas lights and enjoy a New Year’s drink in one of the pubs.
- Visit Cheristow Lavender, relax in their tearoom, enjoy their fantastic food range (including gluten free), stroll in their grounds and pick up plants from the nursery.
- Enjoy some festive cheer, fantastic food, drink and music at one of Hartland’s hostelries: the King’s Arms, Hartland Quay’s Wreckers’ Bar, The Anchor Inn, The West Country Inn or the Old Smithy at Welcombe.
- Follow the Harton Borough or Parkland heritage walks, be inspired by local history and see Hartland village and its artisans in a new light
- Take in a traditional pantomime, see Sleeping Beauty at Barnstaple’s historic Queen’s Theatre.
- Join in (or just watch) New Year’s day swimmers at Bude and Westward Ho!
- Visit Bideford on New Year’s Eve for a whole days’ programme of events and to see thousands in fancy dress in the streets and the incredible fireworks at midnight
- Go on a wildlife walk. Keep an eye out for: gorse and early primroses, foxes, deer, badgers and listen for woodpeckers and tawny owls.
New Year things to do