Lana Borrett from the wonderful Docton Mill Gardens has given us this latest blog.
"This sunny, glorious spring has enhanced the garden greatly, with the tree canopy bursting forth in the last week. We have a large variety of ferns here at Docton Mill, the shuttlecock ferns in our woodland garden are vivid green and the banks and weir area are carpeted with bluebells. The beech trees, ferns, bluebells and wild garlic are a wonderful sight, not to be missed, and the rhododendrons and azaleas complete the picture.
Our extensive herbaceous border is growing rapidly. Delphiniums, lupins and aliums, as well as the the many varieties of hardy geraniums are about to flower. Our bog garden areas have hostas and candelabra primulas, creating fantastic, brightly coloured effects.
Our salads are popular in the tearoom. We serve locally reared Devon beef and turkey, Cornish cheeses, homemade quiches as well as our ever-popular West Country crab, Scottish smoked salmon and tasty prawns.
Come for afternoon tea, our selection of homemade cakes and cream teas are the best. We also have gluten free cakes and scones.
We look forward to seeing you."
See www.doctonmill.co.uk for full details of all the these wonderful gardens and tea room have to offer.
- Entry to Garden £4.50 Adults - £4.25 OAPS - Children U18 Free
- Voted Best Tea Room in North Devon at the North Devon Food & Drink Awards
- Gold medal winner at Devon County Show
- Voted Best Cream Tea in Devon, at the North Devon Food & Drink Awards
- Spectacular display of narcissi in spring
- River walk with displays of naturalised narcissi, bluebells and wild garlic
- Superb bog garden as described in Rosemary Verey’s book, "Good Planting"
- Extensive herbaceous border of over 140m
- Wild flower gardens
- Award winning Tea Room serving light lunches with speciality salads, all food sourced locally - (There is no entry charge to use the Tea Room) Last Teas 4:30pm
- Dogs allowed on short leads
- Plant sales area
- RHS Partnership Garden every Saturday throughout the season